USD Invite - 2009. Me running with former DSU teammate Sandy

Monday, October 7, 2013

Looking toward the future....

During my last update (early July) I was just starting to log some miles again after being forced to take the month of June off with a knee injury following the Deadwood Marathon.

I was able to log some decent mileage in July, culminating in the Custer Gold Discovery Days 5k on Sunday, July 28th. I won this race last year, and knew that would be difficult to defend in just four weeks of actual running. A few Custer High School XC runners showed up and I was able to beat most of them but had to settle for 2nd as one of their stud seniors was just too tough and I couldn't manage to hang with him. Ran something around 18:50.... didn't wear a watch so I'm not positive what it was.

Won my age group.... yet another vile of gold... hooray!


In early August I think I may have gotten a little too ambitious, running a 15-miler (longest run since the marathon in early June) and then logging a 12-mile run just three days later. Seemed like a good idea at the time to push myself and maybe get in shape for a fall half - but a few days later I started to notice a little pain on top of my left foot just under the ankle.

Long story short, I have spent the better part of 6 weeks with some mild pain during and following any runs. I was hoping that some rest would take care of this but I still can't run without feeling some pain the following couple of days. I've put it off long enough and probably need to go visit a doctor soon and see whether it is a stress fracture or something else and see what needs to be done. I'd love to be training at full effort right now but I guess if I have to wear a boot or take some time off I'd rather it be leading into winter rather than in the spring.

My classroom running bulletin board. My students think it is pretty cool. Maybe it will even encourage them to try cross country or track someday?!

In the meantime, I have a new location - Belle Fourche - which is a nice little town but is TERRIBLE for running. There are hardly any trails or runner-friendly roads whatsoever here. A positive is that Spearfish is only 10 miles away so I am looking forward to venturing there a couple times per week for runs/workouts once I get my foot problem solved.

Hopefully I can get this injury issue figured out in short order and start training no later than December. I'd love to run a half and a full next spring. Goals would be to PR in a half (under 1:18) and also go under 3:00 in a full (current PR 3:18). I'd love to go back to Yankton for the River Rat 1/2 or Full in April and win one of those races - I've finished 4th, 2nd, and 3rd the past three years. I am a pretty big fan of the Deadwood race so that full or half would be enjoyable, especially since I live less than 20 miles away.

Long term goal is to qualify and run the 2015 Boston Marathon with Tyler Smit after he returns from his Peace Corp stint in Africa! Seems like a long ways off but in reality that is only 18 months away. Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment