USD Invite - 2009. Me running with former DSU teammate Sandy

Friday, January 28, 2011

Introduction

Well here we go. I have been keeping a running log for about 4 years now so I decided that I might as well make it available online in case anyone is curious or interested. I don't use a actual running log; instead, I just take a 1-subject notebook and write in my mileage and workouts on one page per week. It is simple and works well. I also like the fact that I can put as much or as little detail each day as I please. In the front of each notebook I dedicate a page to my weekly mileage and also how many miles are on each of my pairs of running shoes that I am using. My feet and legs always start to hurt around the 400-425 mile total so I like to keep a running total so I know when to start breaking in a new pair.

I think I will mostly just post once per week, to put down a recap of my weekly workouts and races. I track my running week on a Monday-Sunday schedule.

This past fall was my final season of collegiate eligibility as I competed for Mount Marty College in cross country. The season was a little disappointing as I finally managed to break 30 minutes in a couple meets but I couldn't shake some nasty stomach cramps for most of the season. It was very frustrating as I often felt great in workouts and then terrible on race day.

I ran my first ever half-marathon in December to try and help pace two of my female teammates to a national qualifying standard. I had been on some pretty long runs before so I was not nervous of the 13.1 miles, but I was a little nervous doing this in a race setting (not to mention the fact that from xc conference in early November through the race date I was not exactly "piling on" the mileage). Well the race ended up being my most enjoyable run in a LONG time. A group of five of us managed to run 1:34 and change and it was a very relaxing and easy pace. I felt like I could have run that pace all day and it was a definite confidence-booster even though it was a slower pace than most of my easy days.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be waiting for you to run the Marine Corps Marathon!

    ReplyDelete